Friday, May 27, 2011

The Mightiest Heart By: Lynn Cullen

The Mightiest Heart   By: Lynn Cullen
Illustrated By: Laurell Long
Dial Books For Young Readers; New York
Copy Right: 1998
(Traditional Literature)

            This story of Llyweyn a boy and his dog Gelert who were as close as could be until the boy grew into a man and had other responsibilities.  The dog was always loyal to his master even when he was banished from the house and away from his wife and newborn son.  Gelert the dog saves the infant from a wolf attack but not before he is mistakenly accused of the crime.  This is heart touching tale of a faithful companion. While the characters are real, as is the dog and location, the story is not known to be absolutely true.
            The text to self connection I found was in the bond between a pet and master.  My dogs are like my kids and I have a child so I understand the struggle we sometimes face when having to choose.  Like Llyweyn, my child would always come first, yet I would have just as much guilt over my animal as well.  This was a beautifully illustrated book and one that I feel everyone would enjoy.  I most enjoyed this book because it affected my emotions as I read the story.  So often we can read through a book and it has no effect on us, which was not the case with this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment